ZJ
No votes
WJ
No votes

Total votes: 4

Casey

XJ vs ZJ vs WJ?

Postby Casey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Selling the JK in the morning and wanting to buy/build a Jeep. My brother had a few XJs in high school, and a 5.9 ZJ, and I had a WJ for a bit. But I’m looking mainly for some more info on if the XJ will work for what I want. I know all would be a good platform for wheeling, daily driving and whatnot. And they all have their benefits. But I have a camping
/off road trailer I built and just wondering when loaded up for a trip if properly geared would the XJ be struggling that much on the highway? If I got a grand I would definitely go for the v8 and re geared I know those would not have a problem. I like them all, leaning towards an XJ but this is just my main concern. Whatever I get will be a daily and weekend warrior for a few years until I get student loans paid off and can get a second rig.

Also I am in the market now if anyone knows of a good deal around!

tobyw

Re: XJ vs ZJ vs WJ?

Postby tobyw » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm a huge advocate of the XJ platform, period. Their benefits are many, but it's not something that needs to be beaten to death right here when you are asking specifically about towing... With that in mind, perhaps the single most important thing to considering in any towing scenario is actually the opposite of what most people think about (ie your mention of a V8): STOPPING. Sure it's nice to be able to maintain freeway speeds up a 10% grade and get 25mpg while doing it, but that's what the Ford 7.3L and 12V Cummins guys are all about, not us Jeepers... The fact is, it doesn't matter how well anything pulls if it can't safely stop. I don't know what your trailer weighs when it's ready for battle, but the one glaring downside of the XJ platform is the factory brakes, particularly the common 9" rear drums... If you can find an early XJ with the rare Dana 44 and tow package, you'll be more than set. If not, it's pretty easy to upgrade to larger drums or even discs out back to really help reign in the trailer.

The above is strictly opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. I'm likely the very least qualified individual to be dolling out automotive advice, just to be clear.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Casey

Postby Casey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:24 pm

That’s a good point, I am gonna be upgrading axles or at least building them if what I buy is stock, so adding upgraded brakes is a something that will be done.

I haven’t weighed my trailer yet but the JK handled it okay, other than needing a re gear. The 35s and bumpers were too much for it when pulling the trailer. But as far as handling and braking it was okay. I’ve been meaning to get it weighed!

Still leaning towards the XJ!

Casey

Postby Casey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 am

Looking at a XJ Monday with low miles and JK Rubicon axles and transfer case, long arm, etc. really nice rig from the pictures and built by a shop with a good reputation. Ill post up a picture if I get it!

Return to “General BS Area”