Sanderson Heaers

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Sanderson Heaers

Postby scumby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:59 pm

So i had a fitment issue with a set of headers that did not fit my 31 model A properly although their website says, "fits all transmission and starter combinations" "The CV97 full length header set for 90° Chevy V6 engines fits 1927-48 cars and trucks."

below is my initial customer support email.

Dear Sanderson,

I purchased a set of CV97 headers to put in my 1931 Model A Ford. I appreciate the the look of the headers and the quality of welds on the headers. I chose the unfinished plain steel headers to fit my budget. It is unfortunate that the drivers side header won't seal against the head because the collector ring hits my transmission. I've been working with Carlos and he has determined that the headers were not designed to fit the 4.3 liter Chevrolet V-6 engine equipped with a 4L60E. Carlos said the fix for my application is to have me, at my expense send the drivers side header back and pay an additional $100 to rebend the header to fit the 4L60E application.

Carlos explained to me that it cost money to rebend the headers. While I understand this I believe this is a cost that your company should absorb and it could more than likely be written off as a loss. For me it's just a total loss of money, it's something I can't write off. The cost of returning the header and the fee for rebending would be nearly half the price of a set of new headers. As I mentioned earlier I chose the the plain steel to fit my budget. I don't feel that this is the best your company can do to fix a warranted product. I've pulled a few quotes from your website that I think describe why I don't think I should be responsible for any additional costs.

"The CV97 fits all transmission and starter combinations."

"Sanderson's goal is to make sure that you are totally satisfied with the quality of our materials and fabrication, and with the fit, finish, and performance of our products."

"Sanderson Street Rod Headers strives to supply our customers with the highest quality parts and service available in the street rod industry. In keeping with this, we warrant and will repair or replace, at our option after inspection in our facility, any of our products which are found by us to have failed due to defects in either material or workmanship."

I appreciate your consideration.

than their response!

At first I wanted to provide a relatively polite yet fictional story that could offer some comparison to this example. I typed a paragraph or so and deleted it. Then, I considered a rather blunt response, but instead I decided to find some level of middle ground between the two. Unfortunately, this response will lean to the more blunt and sarcastic reply.

How many vehicle applications should a single header fit? Why doesn't the CV97 fit a Ford Pinto, or a 2018 Camaro that someone decided they wanted a classic V6 powerplant? Someone wants to install a V6 in a miniaturized version of space shuttle----why doesn't it fit the custom chassis? Why doesn't the CV97 fit all V6 engines, including Ford, Chrysler, Kia, and a Playdoh and Lego vehicle my 5-year old grandchild built. He's crying, and I can't make him stop because he believes the CV97 must fit his toy --- Sanderson should fix it, drop everything, and make it about me me me.

And of course, why can't Sanderson build or modify these items for free? I'm a good customer, and I've used their products on a number of vehicles in the past---I deserve special treatment! Sanderson employees should be so happy to say they work for Sanderson that they should also offer their time for free, working 24-hour shifts. And, suppliers too, should be so proud that Sanderson wants their raw materials that they too should just hand them away for free. Free tubing! Freed welding materials! Free energy! Forget the fact that we need to keep manufacturing schedules for new orders. We should stop everything and take care of this one customer---one of hundreds of thousands who are also special to us.

The next time a product is purchased that does not fit as intended---say that new dishwasher or other appliance---be sure to tell the manufacturer that it should be THEIR responsibility to make it fit your home. Maybe, insist that they also remodel your kitchen, because it MUST be their fault that an item was selected that was not compatible with your kitchen. And make sure they do it all for FREE, because of course, no one should be in business, pay their employees and bills, if that one self-centered customer is not treated like King Trump.

There are many applications where a particular header is not compatible. If we know of this incompatibility it is noted in the product details as well as internal notes. When a problem such as this occurs, there are few options available.

1) Return or exchange the item and find one that fits.
2) Return the item and find a different brand
3) If neither #1 or #2 are possible, is a custom or modified header an option?
3a) Custom headers start at $1500.00 per set
3b) Charging just $100.00 could be compared to one helluva a Black Friday-type deal
4) Use a different engine or transmission

Of course, any possible solution is a frustration, especially when it costs time and money. In any process however, being reasonable encompasses all solutions. A reasonable solution was offered by Carlos, and instead we're told that we should gladly work for free.

Yes, I went BLUNT. Feel free to return the headers if undamaged / unmodified. Maybe, find some used manifolds at a salvage yard. Then, if they don't fit properly you could demand (for free) the owner of the salvage to melt and recast them into something that does.

my response to their response.

Hello Sanderson,

I appreciate the BLUNTness rather than the BS statements made on your website about customer satisfaction and fitment. Vehicle application/chassis was not the issue at all the transmission choice is the issue. I wouldn't have suspected a fitment issue with an engine transmission combination that has been around for at least 20 years and a statement of "fits all transmission and starter combinations."

i had no expectation of a time frame when the repairs or a replacement could be built or modified. It was not my intent that your employees should work for free or 24/7 but I would suspect being a business you've probably donated an item or two in your 50 years and could afford more readily than myself the extra $150.

Thank you for your timely response and Merry Christmas.

please cross post to potential customers or any forums you think may benefit from their customer service.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Re: Sanderson Heaers

Postby Roman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Wow... talk about catching customer service on a bad day! :scared:

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Ufda! Hope you paid with a credit card so you can dispute payment due to a quality issue.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Ufda! Hope you paid with a credit card so you can dispute payment due to a quality issue.
Last edited by SPR on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 am

What a Sanderhole! :evil:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:01 am

at least i'm not alone on this. i did pay with a credit card but it was a long time ago. guess i'll break out the torch to heat and bend the tubes.

Fab_man

Postby Fab_man » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:47 pm

quick question or two...

do they hit the block portion of the bellhousing or down by the inspection cover? I know on most the S10 V8 swap headers you have to cut the "ears" off the automatic transmissions to make the headers fit.

Got pics of your fitment issue?

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:54 pm

this took waaayyy tooo long to post but better late than never?
Attachments
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG (95.1 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG (111.08 KiB) Viewed 4395 times

Return to “General BS Area”