Pole barn or shop kit recommendations

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

JambaJeep

Pole barn or shop kit recommendations

Postby JambaJeep » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Got the city's approval to build my shop. 24'x60'12' I've been looking pretty heavily at versatube. Anybody else have any recommendations on kit manufacturers?

bobracing

Re: Pole barn or shop kit recommendations

Postby bobracing » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:27 am

Are you set on a pole building?
It's a bit spending upfront but I'd look at SIPs (structurally Insulated Panels). This give a very good insulation and easier construction but does require a foundation like stick.

The size, if you can make it a bit deeper like 30 feet, it will make it nicer if you have a truck to work on. My CCLB would fit in a 28' pole building but not overly nice to work on when the doors was closed.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

JambaJeep

Postby JambaJeep » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:05 am

If I go 30' wide it will overlap with the house and look odd. This is the area I'm stuck with. I'd love a 40'x60'x12' but it is what it is.

Here's what I have to work with, that's an 18' diameter pool for reference.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:17 am

Perhaps you can put a door in the gable end similar to my shop so that you can fit a long rig. If you use scissor trusses you may be able to put a 14' door on the end show that you can fit a camper in there. Down the road, I think you will be most pleased with a stick built shop instead of a pole building. The end product will likely be much better built, match the house, and perhaps more bug proof. Be certain your concrete guy is legit and will warrantee the work.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 pm

SPR wrote:Perhaps you can put a door in the gable end similar to my shop so that you can fit a long rig. If you use scissor trusses you may be able to put a 14' door on the end show that you can fit a camper in there. Down the road, I think you will be most pleased with a stick built shop instead of a pole building. The end product will likely be much better built, match the house, and perhaps more bug proof. Be certain your concrete guy is legit and will warrantee the work.

He is spot-on about the benefits to stick built. I'm glad I went that route. My shop stays above 60 even in the coldest winter months with a pair of 900 watt space heaters.

Also, if you ever want to install a hoist or squeeze an RV in there, I recommend no less than 14' wall height and 12' door.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

AlanSleek

Postby AlanSleek » Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 am

"Also, if you ever want to install a hoist or squeeze an RV in there, I recommend no less than 14' wall height and 12' door."

Hmm, will keep that in mind as well.

Return to “General BS Area”