Recovery Ropes

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

tobyw

Recovery Ropes

Postby tobyw » Thu May 30, 2019 8:17 am

With the recent demise of my beloved tow strap, I'm in the market for some new gear. I've seen a lot of information on the kinetic recovery ropes, and am looking for feedback from anyone that has one or has used one, compared to your typical recovery strap... What size(s) are you using? How are they holding up to wear and tear, particularly being put away wet after a snow recovery, which seems to be the typical use case for me? Any brands to stay away from?
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

bobracing

Re: Recovery Ropes

Postby bobracing » Thu May 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Have a Bigfoot (made in WA) and the few times I've pulled JKs with it, works well. The few pulls I've done were slow but didn't have any kind of "jerk" to them, just smooth. As a side note, standard tow strap have there place and will still carry them but not for pulling.
Also have moved to soft shackles too.

Believe I have the $80 one.

https://www.bigfootwinchropes.com/kinetic-recovery-ropes-1
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu May 30, 2019 12:26 pm

I have a Masterpull Superyanker. Won it at a Jamboree raffle years ago.
I have used it twice in the snow...I was the one being yanked out. :oops:
I can definitely tell the difference from when I have been yanked with a regular tow strap. I can feel how much easier it is for both vehicles.
Mine came with a carry bag, I dried the rope out at home before storing it.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

dutton

Postby dutton » Thu May 30, 2019 4:57 pm

bobracing wrote:Have a Bigfoot (made in WA) and the few times I've pulled JKs with it, works well. The few pulls I've done were slow but didn't have any kind of "jerk" to them, just smooth. As a side note, standard tow strap have there place and will still carry them but not for pulling.
Also have moved to soft shackles too.

Believe I have the $80 one.

https://www.bigfootwinchropes.com/kinetic-recovery-ropes-1

One guy here got this rope as well and seems a very tough one. Must worth a try.

pascoscout

Postby pascoscout » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 pm

I've got a Bulldog rope and a Smitty Built Rope. Both work great and I've used them several times to pull out 3/4 ton trucks out of the sand and snow with my Land Cruiser. They are my go to before I break out the winch. I actually like the Smitty built a bit more as the rope is a little harder and tends not to pick up stickers like the Bulldog does. If you get one I highly recommend getting some soft shackles to go with it. Removes the chance of a heavy D ring shackle flying around if the rope and/or recovery point fails.

ARB, and now some others, makes a kinetic strap which I've considered as I have run into situations where it was hard to find a attachment point due to the thickness of the rope where a thinner strap would have worked.

Return to “General BS Area”