Camping...?

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Camping...?

Postby Yrjan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:39 am

Anyone know if dry camping at Naches is happening now or anytime soon? Would like to plan a camping trip to Riders Camp up on Manastash to ride the RZR on the Divide trail and possibly down to Lost Lake in the coming weeks.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Re: Camping...?

Postby TJDave » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:05 am

My understanding is that all "developed" campgrounds will remain closed until our wonderful governor says different. Rider's camp would fall into the developed campground category. But, dispersed undeveloped campgrounds on USFS land is still ok to camp...unless you ask our governor.
No one is safe, according to him, unless you are at a Wal-Mart, Costco, etc., or work for Boeing.
He did open up fishing, hunting, and day use at state parks, but no camping. Makes perfect sense. ;(
I am almost certain he will extend the stay at home order until who knows when. We find out this Friday.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:10 pm

State land and DNR land like Ahtanum is completely closed. Day use will begin re-opening up starting on May 5th on a rolling basis, whatever that means.

But USFS land has been open this entire time, at least that's the case with Umatilla and Wenatchee national forests. Dispersed camping is allowed however recreational sites including sno-parks, dedicated campgrounds, warming cabins, etc are closed. So you can pull off the side of a road and camp in an unmarked spot, you just can't camp in designated campgrounds. I was up in Umatilla forest last weekend and saw maybe half a dozen or so campers here and there. I also know of someone who was camping up at Naches last weekend, they were checked and were told they were ok to be camping as long there was less than 10 people in the group.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri May 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Yrjan wrote:Anyone know if dry camping at Naches is happening now or anytime soon? Would like to plan a camping trip to Riders Camp up on Manastash to ride the RZR on the Divide trail and possibly down to Lost Lake in the coming weeks.

Divide Trail?

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Mon May 04, 2020 7:31 am

OldGreen wrote:
Yrjan wrote:Anyone know if dry camping at Naches is happening now or anytime soon? Would like to plan a camping trip to Riders Camp up on Manastash to ride the RZR on the Divide trail and possibly down to Lost Lake in the coming weeks.

Divide Trail?

Maybe I spelled it wrong. I led a group on this trail 2 years ago at Trailjam. Amazing views...
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (384.67 KiB) Viewed 5734 times

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Mon May 04, 2020 7:58 am

OldGreen wrote:

Divide Trail?

4w311 starting at Riders Camp

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon May 04, 2020 8:00 am

Yrjan wrote:
OldGreen wrote:

Divide Trail?

Maybe I spelled it wrong. I led a group on this trail 2 years ago at Trailjam. Amazing views...

That was a great day! Even the long gravel forest roads from Jim Sprick Park to Riders Camp had some good views. The trail starts at Rider's Camp so it would be a nice starting point.

Unfortunately for now, our governor thinks camping is dangerous. :evil:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Mon May 04, 2020 8:18 am

TJDave wrote:
Yrjan wrote:
OldGreen wrote:
Divide Trail?

That was a great day! Even the long gravel forest roads from Jim Sprick Park to Riders Camp had some good views. The trail starts at Rider's Camp so it would be a nice starting point.

Unfortunately for now, our governor thinks camping is dangerous. :evil:

We will be going through Ellensburg and out Manastash RD to Riders camp with the RV. Gravel roads all the way there shouldn't be too bad for the Class A motorhome. I'm thinking about the weekend of Friday June 5th, 6th and 7th. Let me know here if there is any interest in joining us. regardless of weather or not our Supreme Leader opens up camping we WILL be camping at riders camp and we will be bring the RZR, NOT the Jeep.

Deputy Dodge 413
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Deputy Dodge 413 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:08 pm

I'm free that weekend...allegedly. I don't have a rzr though.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Mon May 04, 2020 4:25 pm

Deputy Dodge 413 wrote:I'm free that weekend...allegedly. I don't have a rzr though.

Anything will work. Bring your trail rig. Camping and wheeling, whatever you got.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon May 04, 2020 5:19 pm

If there is a gate or something, there are tons of places to camp up there. For what its worth, the Manastash camoground is just a few hundred yards up the road and is arguably better than rider's. If it is a view you seek, just buzz up to Quartz Mountain on the gravel from camp and come down via shoestring and Tripod right back to camp. Ranier will reach out and grab ya.

Gregandlina
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Gregandlina » Tue May 05, 2020 8:50 am

I’m interested in getting the new camper out, probably won’t be bringing the Jeep though
2012 JKUR
Dashboard Hula Girl
Stubby Antenna

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 pm

Yrjan wrote:We will be going through Ellensburg and out Manastash RD to Riders camp with the RV. Gravel roads all the way there shouldn't be too bad for the Class A motorhome.

In my worthless opinion, that stretch of gravel road is consistently among the worst in the world in terms of washboard... It gets so much traffic at higher speeds that it's nearly impossible to maintain, and I find myself airing down the Jeep just to make it bearable. I would personally NEVER take an RV on that road, at least not one that isn't a rental.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed May 06, 2020 8:35 pm

I agree with Toby on that road... big suck both ways
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Deputy Dodge 413
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Deputy Dodge 413 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:02 pm

Turns out I'm working that weekend. May 29 would work though.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Fri May 08, 2020 7:25 am

This is on hold for now...

Return to “General BS Area”