Bench Racing for a new Wheeler

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Fab_man

Bench Racing for a new Wheeler

Postby Fab_man » Tue May 11, 2021 12:43 pm

so with the need for more than 2 seats we are looking for a new wheeler.....for in a couple years maybe once we are more mobile.

We would like something for "light" "overlanding" (meaning car camping so a back seat and space for camping gear)
Not a hardcore wheeler - While Rubicon lockers are nice, we are not looking to rock crawl this so the 4:1 case is not ideal...prove me otherwise.
No fancy interior or other bells and whistles needed - Just a play toy and not a daily.
Highway friendly - we want something we can roadtrip to say Montana, Moab, etc in comfortably...and reliably.

I am leaning towards a newer JK unlimited or maybe a JL Unlimited. Maybe a Sport and just rock a rear ARB or truetracks in both axles? Could always upgrade to some crate axles if we want big tires later on.

For now we are thinking light wheeling/trail driving until Chris gets older. maybe just something on some 33's and keep it low. I thought of another Toyota but people jsut want way to much....plus they don't offer an E-locker anymore.

Then maybe going to bigger tires (37+) and lift, etc.....which seems to rule out anything IFS unless I went with a SFA swap or a long travel front end....although an IFS would be nice for the highway miles.

Thoughts?

tobyw

Re: Bench Racing for a new Wheeler

Postby tobyw » Tue May 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Skip the JK platform altogether and save up a bit more if necessary for the JL. The 8-speed automatic is a game changer, there is simply no comparing it to the previous 4 or 5-speed offerings. Combined with the impressively effective traction control (brake biased), the non-Rubicon JL's are astoundingly capable and will perform fantastically for exactly what you are describing.

Just my opinion of course, worth exactly what you paid for it :thu:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

E01001100

Postby E01001100 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Full honesty I can't comment to much on the technical stuff you mentioned, but I will say that I've been daily driving my 2018 JLU for 3 years and am still in love. The Sport may be what you want to look at, mine came on steel rims with some 31's, so no tears were shed when I put 33's on it last summer. Didn't even need to install a lift to get them to fit, which was awesome since it wasn't in my budget. There's no real accessories to it, it's got manual locks and windows, and generic cloth seats. The fanciest thing is my Bluetooth, and the push button start.

I've taken it up to the dunes a few times and even saved myself an expensive recovery bill with the 4-lo, and last winter when we had snow it handled the 5am un-plowed roads like a champ.

As for highway travel, I've driven mine (with the 33's) to Spokane and back with no issues, I did notice it seemed a little sluggish having 3 other people in the rig, but I am planning a trip to Tillamook this summer so that should show my confidence in it. There's a picture in the introduction area if you want to see it.

The only drawback's I've noticed is that coming from a 2005 Chevy, the 8 speed transmission had a bit of a learning curve, and last winter the transmission seemed to be a little cold blooded.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Fab_man

Postby Fab_man » Wed May 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Daily duties will still be the Denali and CRV...both are good in Tri Cities snow.

I'll look into the JLs more. I do like the 10 speed in the gmc

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed May 19, 2021 5:34 am

I wouldnt even bother with a JK. The JL is improved at so many levels, there is no comparison. Better axles, better trans/programming, better seats, less weight, more room, better engine offerings, better shock location, much beefier brackets on the axles, stronger steering gearbox, stronger steering arms/components, better brakes, better electronics, etc.

Not sure what is available, but I think the Sahara "max tow" version of the JL has the same axles as the Rubicon. Honestly, if you can pony it up, the Rubicon is best. All other models dont offer the same trim levels. A bone stock Rubicon JL is extremely capable. 35's fit with no lift (only on the Rubicon, the other models have less fender clearance). The Rubicon with 4:10's and 33's is very capable, doesnt need a lift (easier to get in/out), and will still net you close to 20mpg, maybe more with the turbo-4 (which puts out about the same power as the v6). If I were to change anything with mine, I think I should have gone with the 4-cylinder turbo for the better fuel mileage.

If you have the money and want even better fuel mileage, get the diesel. It'll get better mileage than almost any mid-sized family SUV out there , and still conquer the trail. :thu2:
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Fab_man

Postby Fab_man » Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 am

So JL over a JK it is I guess.

I was looking at maybe the 4cyl. I like the idea of something boosted if we are going to take it up in elevation alot. Honestly we are not looking for something super cable as a rig but the wife has declared it needs 4 doors to make getting Little C in and out easier. a real SUV with AWD might also really meet out needs right now (her CRV is AWD but not what I would call a real SUV with a real AWD or 4WD system in it)

I would like to see how the new Bronco's do as a 4 door wouldn't be horrible but not sure I am sold on the IFS (I know it is the same as the Ranger but it is also pushing more weight around)

I have also thought of a fullsize SUV (likely a Tahoe) but the full mileage would stink. But the newer IRS could be a game changer. But at the cost I would rather just wheel the Denali and spend the money at the bodyshop.

Speaking of the Denali....when these tires wear out I am looking to ditch the 22's and get some 20's with either a decent All Season or All Terrain tire. No need for chunky tires since it won't get snow wheeled and everything is just dust in the summers. So I will be in the market for some non-flashy looking wheels...

Return to “General BS Area”