Looking into portable fridges and power

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Fab_man

Looking into portable fridges and power

Postby Fab_man » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:23 pm

I have been looking into portable fridges to add to our Bronco we ordered. The downside is there are no dial battery setups for the new broncos. Would a smaller agm and a 100w solar panel really have us set? Would we really need a dc-dc charger?

tobyw

Re: Looking into portable fridges and power

Postby tobyw » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:01 am

Your specific use case will determine your battery and charging needs... Ambient temps, how frequently you access the fridge, and how long you are "off grid" will really guide your path here. The fridge doesn't draw hardly anything when the compressor isn't running, so the smarter you can use the fridge the lower your battery system can be on the spectrum. What I have found in several years with our ARB fridge is that it will happily run all evening/night/morning on the Jeep battery while we camp, because we then fire up the Jeep and go wheeling again the next day. Rinse/repeat to your hearts content. If, however, you plan to have the fridge in more of a base-camp scenario for multiple days, one of the myriad of battery pack units is a great way to add many many hours (even days) of run time. My small Jackary 290 will run our ARB for 48 hours if we do things right, and will easily run it for 12 hours if we are in super hot weather without putting the fridge in the shade and have it open a hundred times... Long story short, in my opinion you can leave all the fancy dual batteries and charge converters to the EweToob kids.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Return to “General BS Area”