If you had a another rig to build what would it be?

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

If you had a another rig to build what would it be?

Postby Lud » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:35 pm

I've been kicking around the idea of building another rig sometime in the next year or two. Possibly an old CJ or Cheorkee/Grand Cherokee.

Heck the Bunny has me convinced I should go find a cheap fuel injected early 90's BroncoII and put 31's-33's on it and call it good.

Just curious what you guys would build if you had another rig. (I know some of you have 2 or 3)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:07 am

If I had the $$$$$, I would get another TJ, '97 or '98. One I would not be afraid of bashing. V-8?? if the motor was toast, AEV high fender kit, dynatrac axles, 35's and........................oh, a car hauler!
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:22 am

Lately I have been considering building something different. I would like to tak a willys cj2a and stretch it to around 95-98" wheel base. Fuel injected, All the other cool stuff to go with it. Dana 60's with 4wheel steering would be sweet. Maybe linked with coil overs all around and a stack 3spd t-case. Not to mention air lockers and gears. All that and keep it street legal just for fun :lol:

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:14 am

Streetable (highway up, wheel, drive home)
fuel injected
multi speed Xfer (expensive option)
overdrive
35"-37" tires
Selectable lockers
Under 74" wide, this fits under forest service use permits (TTCW, Trail Jam, etc...)

For ease, YJ/TJ have just about every bolt on or specific kit made for just about anything you want to do.

CJ-7 has the classic Jeep look and would be a good starting point. An after market box tube frame would remove any frame problems and a good start to a link suspension if desired.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 pm

I think that knowing what I know now, I'd re-evaluate the whole deal and do two rigs. . .

1. A Jeep of some sort. . .either a CJ7 or a YJ with 2" springs, 32" tires and gears/lockers. . .winch, cage, done. Work, mall, trail. . .

2. 4x4 TTB ranger with bent 4x4 beams, good leaf packs, BIG shocks, cage and a fuel cell. Pre-runner/chase truck.

But, you still need an expedition vehicle. . .my Excursion on 33s works well for that. . .oh, and the dedicated race truck. . .

The only problem with number 1 above is that is what I had. . .and my driving style dictates that I need bigger parts sooooo. . .that's what I have, but I really miss driving it on the street.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:37 pm

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:20 pm

You should buy Toby's Jeep.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:00 pm

This has potetial also never been a huge yota fan but the seem to wheel pretty good.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/car/747602780.html

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Lurch wrote:This has potetial also never been a huge yota fan but the seem to wheel pretty good.

Is that the one Ed Livzey (sp?) built? If it is, it is worth every penny.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:14 pm

I've been wanting to build a Grand Cherokee, especially with a kid on the way. I'd like to buy a pair of the JK D44 difs that come all setup with lockers and gears and throw them under it. After long arming it I think you could get the wheelbase close to 110". Bumpers and an internal cage and you'd have a nice rig that would be comfortable on the highway and the trail.

I've got two ZJ's right now so one of them may become a candidate for this some day :D

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:23 pm

iaccocca wrote:
Lurch wrote:This has potetial also never been a huge yota fan but the seem to wheel pretty good.

Yup, that is his old truck.
Unless someone changed them, they are tru-tracks (gear driven limited slips)

I second that it's a nice rig.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm

One thought....Pre Emission Title. I like the fuel injected Willy idea, but a heat and defrost are a must.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:26 pm

bobracing wrote:
iaccocca wrote:

Yup, that is his old truck.
Unless someone changed them, they are tru-tracks (gear driven limited slips)

I second that it's a nice rig.

Yea that is a pretty nice rig. Re arched factory springs all around as far as I remember but it is a clean rig.

If I was to build another rig it'll be streetable and a bit smaller. I'm thinking sami with my complete running gear sitting on 37-40" tires with 4" max lift. I'd section the body a right under the top door hinge and keep it super low. :D

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:25 am

Here's an interesting rig to take the family in.

4WD Ford Aerostar with an Early bronco Dana 44 front axle and a Ford 8.8 Rear on Irocs I think.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:21 am

That had to involve at least one case of beer and way to much time on there hands.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:56 am

Actually the guy takes this out for wheeling with the family. I guess you can do anything with a welder.

He has a bronco II for a regular wheeler.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:32 pm

If I was able to build what I want, it would look something like a Scout II, but with some modern stuff in it. I'd start with the 5.4 and 5spd out of a Super Duty, then adapt a multi speed t-case. A built HP44 in front, and a 60 in back with ARB's to harness all that Ford power. Also disc brakes. There'd be most of the regular trail ready parts as well, but this is the base of it.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “General BS Area”