Building a Shop...where to start?

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Building a Shop...where to start?

Postby Lud » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:48 pm

With all my toys getting paid off next year, the next plan is to build a shop in my yard. I'd like something to fit both vehicles in and still have some room to work in. Thinking of putting it in the back corner of my yard or on the other side of the house.

What do I need to do to get started?

What am I gonna need?

What's the ballpark on what I'm going to spend on something like this?

Is there a good builder in Tri-Cities to go to?

Steel Building or Stick Built?

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:06 pm

Check with the city on zoning first. Specifically, how close to your property line you can build. That will give a feel for how big you can go.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:07 pm

The first thing is to research and see what you can build. I'm not sure what the limitations are in richland. Once you know that get bids from several builders and go with the one you like. It may not be the cheapest but you need to be confortable with them. I paid around 24k for mine. Thats without electricity. My bro is a electrician so I had him do it and saved a little money.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:11 pm

Don't think I'll go as big as your shop, Tim.

Guess the zoning laws are where I should start.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:04 pm

Good place to start:
http://www.ci.richland.wa.us/RICHLAND/p ... N=62764811

Then head down to the building department (behind fed building) and get a plot plan of your lot. This will tell you were the house and easements are.

Now comes the fun part, trying to figure out how to cover 25% of the back yard with shop avoiding easements. Depending on the lot it can be very restrictive in shop size. Easements can be easy or troublesome but it all means more paperwork with the city.

The shop should be 3' from the property line, UNLESS you put a fire wall up then it can be against the line. I wouldn't recommend any closer than 3' incase you get into a spat with the neighbor, could be hard to get at that part of the shop.

Height also comes into play, 15' is max., this is measured mid slope. My shop has a peak of just under 17' with a 12-3 pitch. Powerline also become limiting factors and you must be 3' away (under) them.

Might want to look at how your going to get power to it too, look for the closest power pole or is it going to come from the house. I ran a second meter underground.

I'd guess a 24x24 pole building with electricy will cost in the 20k range.
I put up a 28x28x12 pole building with commercial girts about 2 yrs ago and paid 2 yahoos (friends of friends) 15,500 for the buidling & concrete, this was about 3k less than any bids. I've done all the electrical and have about 1200 into it and still need better lights. I also don't have any insulation or sheetrock up either, YET.

Then don't forget about your permits (~400 for my shop) and hook-up fees (275 for elec) either.

OH YEA, don't forget to call you dig line. I didn't and the first hole they hit something. Turns out it wouldn't have been found anyway because it was an abandon steamline, but it sure got the you dig lady all excited when I did call.

If you need help, let me know, I can probably help point you in the right direction.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks Bob.

That helps out a lot. I've been going through building codes all day looking for answers.

As for Power I have a 220 service that runs to the patio that I'm not using but its not hooked up as I need another breaker in the panel downstairs.

I'll have to get a plan of my lot and find out where the easements are and what I can do.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:57 pm

Another thing the city like are engineered drawings. I believe it took me about 45min to get a permit, mostly watching the clerk run around, with engineered drawing. If you don't have them, it's a two week (IIRC) wait and you many have to make changes and resubmit them.

Return to “General BS Area”