99 XJ Limited

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Casey

99 XJ Limited

Postby Casey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Picked up a 1999 XJ, 160k on the clock, PW, PL, and leather heated seats! I have big plans for this Jeep, got rid of my JK for this to be loan free, enjoying it so far. Plans are to have a reliable daily driver for a year or so, then on to trail duty and the build could go a little more crazy at that point!

It has a new Jasper long block, still under warranty till august 2019, currie/G2 dana 44s with ARB and 4.10 front and rear, np242 with sye, and some other stuff :thu:

Right now it has a pro comp 3 inch lift, and 31's, plan in changing that up and running 33s while I daily drive it and keep the 4.10 gears.

End goals, (which I'm sure will change slightly) are 35s, 4.5-5.5 long arm, notch flares, and 4.56 or 4.88, plus a bunch more.

Just got it this week and first on the agenda is some small stuff, but for now just driving it and getting a feel for everything on it!

tobyw

Re: 99 XJ Limited

Postby tobyw » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:48 pm

I dig it!!

I wouldn't do a darn thing to it except fix that spare tire contraption, and then add a bunch of fuel!!
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 pm

:thu2: nice!
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Casey

Postby Casey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Yah I’m not a fan of the hitch tire carrier, he had the spare on the roof rack, and I actually had it shipped here from California, he had that and put it on cause it was too tall to ship with the spare on the roof!

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 am

tobyw wrote:I dig it!!

I wouldn't do a darn thing to it except fix that spare tire contraption, and then add a bunch of fuel!!

I totally agree. 35's will get you around better in snow, but that thing with 31's and lockers will get you through most all the trails here just fine. 35's will require a lot of work on an XJ to clear the fenders, or a lot more height that will change the center of gravity in a not so good way.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Casey

Postby Casey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 pm

For now it’s gonna stay like it is, wheels need balanced, and need to get something to stow the sway bar disconnects and we will see how I like the suspension then, believe it or not that second picture was liftng the rear tire off the ground!

Casey

Postby Casey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:59 pm

So I am on a trip right now for work, and will be home Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday and Thursday, on my list to get done is pin point/fix the cruise control problem, get the tires balanced, and change change some fluids.

Anyone dealt with cruise before? The light comes on but won’t set, from what I have read I assume vacuum leak. Also gonna check the speed sensor. Any other things I should check?

Casey

Postby Casey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 pm

Got some stuff done! Re did the sad droopy headliner and some other little stuff. Pretty proud of how it turned out, but was more work than expected!

Before pictures of the sad headliner, which dropped foam on my head all the time!

While everything was torn out I cleaned up some wiring from previous owners, for some reason there was about a 2 feet of extra cb antenna cable that was on top of the headliner which was vibrating like crazy on the highway, no more vibration from that now! :thu2: Image

Cleaning up the headliner board, some glue on the front from previous owners and one crack in the side, fixed with some fiberglass resin, hopefully the glue sticks well to it.

discovered this when I was putting it back together, quick trip to pasco auto wrecking for a new one

The new fabric! :thu: The visors and overhead console were a pain! used 3 cans of 3m 77 spray adhesive for everything, seems to be holding tight, but only time will tell!

All reinstalled, everything went back together fairly easy, except the last bolt which was cross threaded :roll: Image

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:59 am

Interesting choice of fabric. I like it!

Casey

Postby Casey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am

Yrjan wrote:Interesting choice of fabric. I like it!

Yah I wanted something different! I know some people may not like it but I do haha saw it on a Wagoneer, plus fleece fabric is way cheaper than headliner fabric

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am

Wood grain the sides and you’ll be set :thu2:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Casey

Postby Casey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:00 pm

tobyw wrote:Wood grain the sides and you’ll be set :thu2:

maybe thats next... :lol2

Casey

Postby Casey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Electrical system issues!

Background, I replaced the alternator awhile back with a junkyard one, plans were to upgrade the whole system down the road. Plans have changed and just want a good working factory system. Was on a work trip and came back to a dead Jeep the other day. Got it jumpstarted, it was reluctant but got it started. Drove it home 10 minutes from the airport, and the next morning it was dead. I got the battery charged and tested and it tested good. My thoughts are alternator so I go to Oreillys and they hook up there tester, alternator test as good with no load on it. I turned on my headlights/heater/rear window defroster and test again, diodes tested good but voltage regulator tested bad.

Voltage
vehicle off: 12.3ish
idle: 13.7
idle with load: 12.2ish

This is a 1999 XJ so the external regulator is in the PCM, which is more expensive than buying a new alternator, but I have read these are rare to go bad. Also read about installing a true external regulator but haven't looked into it too much yet.

Any ideas? maybe my next step is heading to battery shop and see what they say

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 am

12.2 under load seems low to me. But I'm not familiar with a jeeps charging system. Also may want to check for a battery draw. If it's going dead while sitting it's more then likely a draw problem not a charging problem. Something may not be shutting down when the key is turned off.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Casey

Postby Casey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Lurch wrote:12.2 under load seems low to me. But I'm not familiar with a jeeps charging system. Also may want to check for a battery draw. If it's going dead while sitting it's more then likely a draw problem not a charging problem. Something may not be shutting down when the key is turned off.

Yes it does seem low which makes me want to swap the alternator again, but if it’s the voltage regulator problem then I may not be fixing anything.

And yes I was wondering about that too, it did start just fine the last couple of days but I was just driving during the day, so it was getting the 13.7 voltage then, no headlights/heat etc. I am on another trip now so when I get back to the airport Thursday I will find out if something is drawing power! :shock:

Casey

Postby Casey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm

So the Jeep was dead again after that trip. Got a jump and it started fine everyday when I was home (drove it daily). Scheduled a doctors appointment at tri city battery on fourth street for Monday. Let it sit for a few days and sure enough starts up just fine like nothing was wrong.... :huh:

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Maybe brushes hanging up in the alternator, or worn out. Under mild load voltage will be fine, but under full load contacts fail. Take the alternator to SAS in Kennewick.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Casey

Postby Casey » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 am

Turns out a previous owner had wired the pillar gauges a weird way. Had a slow draw on them when ignition was off, fuse it pulled for now till I fix that. Same shop charged the battery up and he alternator tested as good this time under load. So for now just fix some wiring and see how that works!

dutton

Postby dutton » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Casey wrote:
The new fabric! :thu: The visors and overhead console were a pain! used 3 cans of 3m 77 spray adhesive for everything, seems to be holding tight, but only time will tell!

All reinstalled, everything went back together fairly easy, except the last bolt which was cross threaded :roll: Image

I love this project! My uncle is eyeing for an XJ as next project, we just have to finish installing the brake kit and offroad tires on the current truck project before we can take a look at the XJ. Aunt loves checkered fabric so she might like that one.

Casey

Postby Casey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 am

Sounds good! The craigslist ad has my phone number and lost of info about it. Feel free to text or call me!

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/eltopi ... 31029.html

LODFER

Postby LODFER » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:28 am

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

Casey

Postby Casey » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:57 pm

LODFER wrote:Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

Skip the build process! $9500 and its yours! Great Jeep, just focusing on other projects

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”