TJ's JK

Post pics and info of your current projects.
TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

TJ's JK

Postby TJDave » Fri May 31, 2019 2:17 pm

So, I was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to set up the black TJ for flat towing again. A couple of trips we have been on, and some locations we would like to visit, there is just no room for a car trailer. I was troubled with dragging the TJ with the lockers, low gears, and spendy MTR's. So I found another Jeep to tow.
My only requirement was I wanted a 2dr, and the new Pentastar engine. I've been seeing this 2016 Wrangler 2dr Sport sitting on a dealer's lot, near our house, for awhile. I went and checked it out. Low miles, RC lift, and 35's. It drove really nice, smooth, no wobbles or shimmies. But on the hiway, it did't want to stay in the lane on uneven surfaces (truck ruts). I figured it to be a caster issue as it still had stock control arms. Bargaining chip!! The 35" tires on the stock Sahara wheels also rubbed on the control arms (stock offset and no spacers). Another bargaining chip!
So I brought him home and started the process of emptying more pockets.

This is how I got it. It kind of sat a little goofy with the wheels all tucked in.

First order of business was wheel spacers and lower front control arms. I found a set of Spidertrax spacers from a friend at work, and ordered a set of RC adjustable control arms. Much better stance and the flighty steering is a thing of the past. One finger driving now.

On to the tow bar set up. I wanted to keep the stock bumper, for now, and didn't want tow bar mounts hanging out under the bumper. Currie Enterprises Rock Jock JK tow bar mount was perfect. It replaces the worthless piece of plastic under the bumper with a tow bar mount that doubles as a skid plate.

Can you see it?

A very nice Jeep builder/collector advised me to get that giant tire off of my stock tailgate before it tears it off! :lol: I immediately took his advise and ordered up a Smittybilt Pivot tailgate hinge tire carrier. This replaces the stock tailgate hinges completely. Very solid. The tailgate closes perfectly, and the tire does not move. It also came with a 3rd brake light extender, which I got rid of already.
Previous wobbly spare blocking the 3rd brake light.

Blocked and taped ready for stock tailgate hinges to go bye bye.

Adjusted and ready for the spare tire. The carrier has adjustments for height and depth to fit various wheels.

All done and nice and close to the Jeep. So close, the rear wiper hits the 3rd brake light. :huh:

The tower had to go. Can't have the wiper hitting it, plus I couldn't get my Moose rack on with that thing there. The Moose rack was my cheap solution to towed vehicle lights. So, I cut it off, and welded a flat bar on what was left of the 3rd brake light extension tower. I cut the plastic tower off the stock light and attached it behind the spare.

A couple small plates welded in the corners of the rack made perfect mounts for magnetic lights.

We are now ready for the maiden voyage
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Re: TJ's JK

Postby TJDave » Fri May 31, 2019 2:36 pm

The maiden voyage was a success! The Jeep towed like it wasn't there. And look at all the room I have in between the Jeep and the camper that was taken up by a trailer last year.

Fishing pole mod

Mushroom hunting adventure

Cute wife and cute old doggy. Oh, I already cut the ends off the giant stock bumper and added some stubby ends to it.

I scored a set of JL Rubi wheels from that nice Jeep collector/builder, complete with genuine Rubicon Trail rub marks. Awesome!
I mounted a set of 315/70r17 Milestar Patagonia MT on them. These tires are dirt cheap compared to most other brands. They ride really well and are quiet on the road.

The end

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm

So my "on road" review of this 2016 JK Sport 2dr. Freaking awesome. :thu: This thing is a blast to drive. Smooth, powerful, and very comfortable.
I almost feel bad about giving anybody who owned one a hard time over the years. :mrgreen: My old Nissan Altima daily driver was just no fun. Even though the Altima got way better gas mileage, I'm really liking this JK.
Don't anyone panic, I am keeping the TJ to wheel and goof off with.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:32 am

Nice work, I love everything about it!!! Those JL wheels really made a nice visual difference, looks fantastic!!

Oh, and welcome to the dark side :thu:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”