01 TJ Refit

Post pics and info of your current projects.
mattawajeep

01 TJ Refit

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:13 am

Hey everybody. Very long time no see.

After letting my wrecked TJ sit for 5 years, I finally started getting it going again. Hopefully it'l be up for some wheeling again after a bit more work.

As the airbags had both gone off, I needed to pull most of the dash loose to replace them. Steering wheel also had to go as I folded it in half during the crash. At least locking my arms kept the airbag from hitting me.

So, it's got new airbags, new dash parts, new airbag computer, and a new clockspring (stupid thing was $400, apparently 2001 with cruise control is different than all the other tj's). Swapped out the front windshield as it was shattered. The front fenders were both tweaked enough that I didn't want to mess with trying to repair them. The whole body shifted forward on the body mounts by a good inch and half. This made the fenders buckle and curve up towards the front of the jeep.

Fenders.jpg
Fenders.jpg (420.71 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

BodyMountBends.png
BodyMountBends.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4143 times

Jacked up the body, and screwed in a short bolt and nut into each body mount location so I could hit it with a big hammer and straighten things back out.

Body Mount Bolt.jpg
Body Mount Bolt.jpg (232.27 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

The fenders and body mounts were the majority of the non-cosmetic damage. The only other real problem was that the crash also busted off a motor mount on the passenger side, and the frame caved inward towards the block by about 3/4. Just enough for the passenger motor mount to be able to come into contact with the block.

FrameBend.png
FrameBend.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 4143 times

MotorMount-toBlock.png
MotorMount-toBlock.png (1.65 MiB) Viewed 4143 times

I loaded the jeep up onto my trailer and had Casaday Bee Line over in pasco throw it on a frame machine to pull that back out and make everything square again. Lots easier than trying to pull it out myself, and since I had everything pulled off to make access easy, it was cheap.

With the frame squared back up and the body sitting as it should, I was able to swap out the front fenders. I went with Metalcloak. More expensive than some other options, but I have limited time, and these were very easy to bolt into place. They were also one of the only vendors out there with 8" wide flares, and they're also one of the only fender sets that can be quick detached. The big flares keep me legal on the street, block mud (though not as well as I was hoping, still flings stuff into the back seat), and I can pull them off easily up in the mountains.

driveable1.jpg
driveable1.jpg (564.17 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

Driveable.jpg
Driveable.jpg (527.9 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

Now I've just got a bunch of smaller things to deal with. Waiting on parts for corner armor, rocker rails, and rear flares. I also need to get new bumpstops to take advantage of all the extra room. I've got a good 5 inches of clearance on all sides now, so the stops can be a lot shorter.

clearance.jpg
clearance.jpg (459.9 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

I'll probably also need shocks. The ones that are on it were old and rusty when I bought the jeep 10 years ago. Wondering if I shouldn't swap out the springs at the same time I redo the bump stops. I think the springs that are on it are an old 4" teraflex lift, that has since sagged down to 3 inches. Not sure if a modern progressive rate spring will make my ride any better at this point.

I also need to make a decision on tires. It's got a set of very old and worn placeholder MTR's on it now. I have a nearly new set on my 76 Gladiator that I can move over, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't be better of with a set of KO2's. MTR's on a TJ are a bit scary to me now. Without ABS they skid very nicely on the highway, as I found out when I wrecked it. They're much better behaved on the Gladiator.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Re: 01 TJ Refit

Postby TJDave » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:27 am

Hey! Great to hear from you. Didn't even know about wrecking the Jeep. I hope you were not injured.
I just sold my TJ. I may regret that decision. :)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 am

Good to see your still around. Always kinda wondered what happened to you.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:44 am

TJDave wrote:Hey! Great to hear from you. Didn't even know about wrecking the Jeep. I hope you were not injured.
I just sold my TJ. I may regret that decision. :)

No real injuries, I was just a bit sore after absorbing all the impact with my arms. Was not happy to wreck though, and after it was broken, it just kept getting put on the back burner until I completely put it out of my mind.

Hopefully you don't regret selling. Was browsing through that picture thread and it looks like you still have a JK to play with.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:52 am

Lurch wrote:Good to see your still around. Always kinda wondered what happened to you.

Hey man. Will be good to be back. All my free hobby time has revolved around RC planes. Getting back into the mountains will be nice.

Still rocking the bronco?

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:42 pm

Yep still running the bronco. Also have a sxs that enjoy playing with. Rc planes always looked fun but I've got enough stuff going on.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Good to hear from you Dale, the Scumbys and I were reminiscing about you the other week. Did you get your house built?
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 am

SPR wrote:Good to hear from you Dale, the Scumbys and I were reminiscing about you the other week. Did you get your house built?

Nope. Got myself a miniature shop and haven't done anything other than landscaping. Just got a space cleared out for the well though. I may get that it and plant a bunch of trees before doing anything else.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm

So, my 12v compressor has died. Runs, but won't build pressure anymore.

I've got a york compressor that I pulled out of my gladiator awhile back when fixing the a/c. The compressor works fine, it just slowly leaked around the input shaft seal behind the clutch.

I've cleaned it up, and checked out the internals. Looks to be in pretty good shape. After some online reading general consensus was that an oil passage needs to be blocked to cut down on oil loss.

So I've drilled and tapped the hole, and installed a 10-32 set screw.

20200604_121843.jpg
20200604_121843.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4105 times

Think all I need to do now is figure out a good way to get air lines attached. This compressor has a new style head plate, as I swapped the old one out to keep the r12 fittings in the Gladiator.

20200604_122221.jpg
20200604_122221.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4105 times

Dunno if I should go to an a/c hose place and get something made, or just drill and tap for standard fittings. A/c place could do a hard line for the pressure side, which would help with heat dissipation I suppose.

I've ordered a bracket kit from offroadonly that will let me bolt it to the engine and still keep my factory a/c. My jeep already has pressure relays, blow off valves, and an air tank.

Anyone with experience with these have trouble with excess oil? Think an oil separation filter is neccessary?

I think I'm also going to replace all the various air lines running around under the hood to make sure the system holds pressure. Anybody got a preffered line type that's less likely to start leaking after a couple years?

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Like everyone else has said, great to hear from you again!

I don't run a York, I use a stock Sanden. Internet loar says Yorks are better all around (they are) but even my little Sanden doesn't seem to put out any oil in the lines.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Roman wrote:Like everyone else has said, great to hear from you again!

I don't run a York, I use a stock Sanden. Internet loar says Yorks are better all around (they are) but even my little Sanden doesn't seem to put out any oil in the lines.

Guess I will just have to see how it does. Hopefully its not an issue, might depend on compressor condition. Coulda used the stock AC, but 100 degree weather with no a/c sucks. Right now I'm stuck waiting on parts. Everything is slow at the moment.

In the meantime, I decided to go fiddle with the refrigeration unit on a 53' reefer trailer I just bought a couple months ago to use as a storage container.

Cleaned out most of the old birdnests, swapped the battery, and checked water and oil. Amazingly it started right up.

https://youtu.be/O2lfhR6ZW5s

Doesn't get cold, bubbles in the sight glass, so refrigerant has to be low. No problem though, I think I may turn this into a giant air compressor. Something huge like this would be awesome for sandblasting - and I have a bunch of projects that need it. Just gotta figure out if it has a clutch that can be turned on and off. Otherwise I could use a blowoff valve system of some sort.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Heeyyyyy!

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:17 am

Maybe like a ARB pressure switch to turn off and on?
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:19 am

OldGreen wrote:Heeyyyyy!

Hey man!

Jafo wrote:Maybe like a ARB pressure switch to turn off and on?

Could probably do something like that. Thing is, I'm now pretty sure there isn't a clutch that can be turned on and off. I think it might have some sort of clutch, but it's probably a centrifugal thing just to make engine starting easier.

Got one of these to handle safety and general pressure relief. It'l open up at 150 PSI, and can release 278 CFM worth of air. Should be able to run it safely with this alone.

blowoffvalve.jpg
blowoffvalve.jpg (872.76 KiB) Viewed 4047 times

I cut off the refrigerant hoses, turned out it was completely empty of R12. It moves a ton of air though. Rough calculations makes me think it's probably around 40 CFM at the high RPM setting. Maybe a bit more. Should do well enough for my purposes. That's a lot more CFM than you get out most large and expensive shop units. Once I get it all going, I'll have to see if I can find a good way to measure actual CFM.

Off idle the compressor mists out a bit more oil than I would like though. I'm gonna have to set up some sort of catch system. Got a 100CFM capable oil air separator coming that I'll add before a tank. Then I might add a second one after the tank before my tools.

I'm currently 3D printing a housing to hold a simple 11" long tractor air filter for the intake.

compressor-air-filter.png
compressor-air-filter.png (268.35 KiB) Viewed 4047 times

Planning to add a simple drip oiler to feed oil back into the intake side. That'l be an easy way to get oil back into the compressor without running it dry.

Currently waiting for the right sized copper fittings to get here so I can tap into the copper refrigerant pipe on the pressure side. I also need to find a decent sized air tank. Craigslist doesn't have much at the moment. May have to get by with a small one for now. If the CFM is as good as I'm guessing, that really might not matter for anything other than an additional way to reduce oil getting to the blaster.

While I wait and search for more parts, these came in for the TJ.

cornerarmor.jpg
cornerarmor.jpg (983.49 KiB) Viewed 4047 times

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”