Peak Putters - Camp Schamp 2012

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
OldGreen

Peak Putters - Camp Schamp 2012

Postby OldGreen » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:43 pm

There should be multiple reports, because there were multiple runs!!

20 rigs. Let me see if I can get most of them.

North Fork Group:

Danny
Rich
Royboy
Commando14
George
ME!
Curtis/SPR in Curtis' Jeep. . .but only for a minute
Paul
Ed
Buggy1
Buggy2 (I was introduced but I forgot their names)

Middle Fork Group
Jose
Chrispy
Chris' pops
Roger
Lee
Dale
Rubicrawler
One more relative of the above (Dale's Bro??)
Tim

Yep, that's 20

The North Fork Trip went down like this:

We started off from the snow park at around 9:45. Curtis was having trouble with his fan not coming on so he headed back to camp right away. The group hit snow almost immediately. Just to get things started, I dove into the ditch and got stuck. On up we went taking turns leading, adventuring, getting stuck and just enjoying the beautiful weather. Then, I made a huge error in judgement (a theme is developing) I followed Ed. Yep, a great driver on a light rig on 37s followed by. . .uh. . .me in my little commuter wagon. I'd like to think that it went pretty well. . .until we got right back up to the road. Ed asked if I wanted a lil' tug up to the top. I looked backwards to where the rest of the group (minus Paul, since he took another route) were busy with a berm that Ed and I had already driven over. "Nah, I'll just play with it for a while." Ed shrugged.

Then, I decided to turn around, on the open hillside (see how this error in judgement thing works). Long/short, I got stuck. Danny winched me sidewards. I blew a bead. Highlifting ensued. . .alls well that ends well I suppose.

Anyway, we carried on past the Blue Lake intersection towards the summit. We nearly made it!!! within a few hundred yards of the top only to get denied. To say it was tough going would be a massive understatement. EVERYONE found themselves on the end of a strap or cable at some point right down to the two full on competition rock buggies.

Undaunted and filled by our manifold hotdog lunch, we decided to go back up towards Blue Lake. It was simply stunning. Everyone did great until the going just got so tough that there was no more headway to be made. My high mark was when I fell in a tree well and had to have both George and David winch me first one way then another to avoid breaking my windows. Much of the group turned around right there, but some of the big dogs carried on. . .only to come up a little short. We within' yards of the top of the Divide ridge!!! What a DAY!!!

As per Peak Putter style, we capped it all off with a HUGE carne asada feed (thanks TIM! for the meat!!) and hearty banter around the fire thanks to Roy spotting a perfect log to cut/split. Morning brought more stories and even a pot of Man Quiche as well as another run for some of the guys that just didn't have enough yet!

The other group will have to regale those that weren't there own tale of awesomeness from the middle fork. . .but. . .for me, on to the pics.

OK, almost. . .I have to thank my son for being a trouper. He came down with a bad cold on the way up on Friday night and stayed in the trailer for the entire weekend. Even though I volunteered to take him home, he would have none of it. THANKS WILL and sorry you are feelin' puny!

Thats right, Orville broke trail (for about 12 seconds)

Yeah, this was the first of many errors I made (don't get me wrong, they all were GREAT fun!)

I see you!!

There is so much awesome here, I can't even begin. . .

On the way to Blue Lake

Thats fresh water. . .sheesh. . .

Our fearless Prez

Now, prepare to see other people's pictures. Many of them will be of Orville stuck. . .laugh and point all you want, but he was gettin' it done all day (errrr. . .sometimes on the end of a rope. . .but, yeah).

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:02 pm

A.) Props to Will! 8)

iv.) Totally dig the report, and can't wait for more!!

PS: Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you guys :oops:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:54 pm

It was an AMAZING assult on the hill yesterday! :twisted:

Some didn't make it . . .
But those lucky few that did will never forget!

As part of the Middle Fork Group, i must say THANK YOU to the North Fork Group.
While we did make the summit 8)
They made it possible for us to make the FULL loop!!! 8) 8)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Here's my run report in pics. It was a fab day for wheeling in the snow. Couldn't ask for a nicer day to be wheeling. I stayed pretty close to Orville most of the day since he let me use his Casa and he was also the smallest guy on the mountain.

Lining up for takeoff

Do I spy a flag!!! My research at the Sheriff's office said I needed one.

Early on the run up

Ed on the crawl, making it look easy

No that's a fine predicament you've gotten me in Olly

Keeping a backward eye on the little guy....as he indicated....he needed it

On the way up to Blue Lake

OG, that's not the way to the lake.

As stated, even the buggy's can find a tree hole
Forget your age and live your life!

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Good write up guys, it was a fun weekend! We had a another great run today with Ed, Paul, my dad with Curtis riding shotgun, myself with Steve riding shotgun, and another guy in a red willys that joined us named Bear. We went up Sedge Ridge above Cultis Hole and ran some fun trails in the trees, the snow was a lot better than Saturday. Ed and Paul were pushing each other up some hills that I figured we would never make it up. We got back to camp around 6pm I believe. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Teaser photo.. (too tired to post a run report for the Middle group, but I will get on it in the AM.)

... at the top of Darland Mountain.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 am

Danny wrote:OG, that's not the way to the lake.

My favorite thus far... :lol:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:42 am

tobyw wrote:

X2. How the? :shock:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 am

Here are a few pictures from Sunday's Run up Sedge Ridge. Attendees included, Ed, Paul, Roy-Curtis, Dave-Steve, and a guy that goes by Bear and his wife Karen. Sorry that I didn't get pictures of the winching and tight tree action.

Bear and his wife are a nice couple that I enjoyed getting to know. I'm thinking he is due for a name change to "Tree-Well". :P

Through out the day, Paul would push Ed along while breaking trail through the mushy stuff and up hills. This really worked and we made good time through some tough areas.

I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 am

TJDave wrote:
tobyw wrote:

That's best answered by OG himself.

Nice run up Sedge Ridge and of course another nice day I see.

Paul and Ed are amazing in what they can do with those rigs. I watched them push each other several times on Saturday....and a 6:00 return time. Quite a day, but then that's what you get following Ed and Paul.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:06 am

BTW....did anyone bring home an extra green camp chair that wouldn't fold up? That would be mine, thank you very much.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:20 am

Danny wrote:Paul and Ed are amazing in what they can do with those rigs. I watched them push each other several times on Saturday....and a 6:00 return time. Quite a day, but then that's what you get following Ed and Paul.

It's pretty amazing to watch how those two can get through the snow.

X whatever on the looks like a fun run.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

Danny wrote:
TJDave wrote:
tobyw wrote:

That's best answered by OG himself.

Nice run up Sedge Ridge and of course another nice day I see.

Paul and Ed are amazing in what they can do with those rigs. I watched them push each other several times on Saturday....and a 6:00 return time. Quite a day, but then that's what you get following Ed and Paul.

I drove there? I fell in the tree well on the right. George winched me sideways to that spot then I had David hook on from behind. I turned uphill and drove forward while David pulled backwards. This kept me out of the trees and let me escape with all my glass. I had to roll down the passenger side windows to protect them. This was the end of the trail for me on the Blue Lake trail.

~NiCkY~

Postby ~NiCkY~ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:51 am

I don't know who is doing the official posting for our group but here are some pictures from our adventure!!

ON THE WAY UP......

Main leaf spring broke...

We also had to replace our hub and one point but didnn't get any pictures of that....

Chris's Dad blew a bead...

Tim had a bead problem and everyone got stuck a couple of times but other then that the drive went pretty well!!

ON TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN....

GOING DOWN....

This picture does NOT do this REALLY REALLY STEEP hill any justice!!

As you can see I didn't get to many pictures on the way down......but I can tell you it was fast and bumpy!! :)
Last edited by ~NiCkY~ on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 am

That drive forward while being pulled backwards demonstration cost him his second bead of the day. U ever try to set a bead in 2' of snow? :lol:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 am

For starters, great weekend of wheeling, eating and friendship around the fire. It was a big group of us camping and wheeling with kids in camp and on the trails.
Chris and Nichol with kids in tow and Roger and his family met up with me at Yakitat Road out of Benton City in hopes that I knew the way to the Sno-park. Good thing they did not follow José More on that in a moment. Our group rolled into camp with some daylight left and a fire and many others already set up. Many had started their partying early and were dropping off into their camping homes. Notably Danny; I say this, because when a white YJ rolled up to the fire I was afraid Danny had called an ill-conceived night run. But we soon realized it was José driving the Jeep we expected to have show up on a trailer behind his motor home. Well, where was the motor home... stuck in the snow (well it couldn't go up the hill anymore.) No, no, no, don't change the channel this is not a rerun, but the story is familiar. A few of us loaded up and went on a motor home recovery. We hooked José's trailer to Rogers Toy for the ride down. I lit the way with my silly amount of lights so that José could see the road he was backing down, and Chris (Chrispy) lit the way from in front of the motor home from his Toy and spotted José down.

The next morning found us prepping for the run and waiting for the day-trippers. The first group headed out at about 9:30 with some of the early arriving day-trippers. Our group started at a much more leisurely pace. We saw Dale, his dad, brother roll in and head off after the North Fork group. When Chris' dad arrived in his 90 stockish Toy on big rubber, we headed out a bit after 10:00. Chris' dad's 4 wheel drive would not work when we hit the first snow because of a vacuum problem. His son the mechanic headed back down the hill and fixed the problem. And we were rolling again and I cemented my position of tailgunner, having one of the well working radios. (Sidebar: it was so nice this weekend having so many well working / tuned CBs; at one point the two seperate groups were calling and taunting each other across the mountain. I guess they might even be used in an emergency. ) :-)

So... Here is my view from the Middle Fork group... mostly as tail gunner, but for a few brief moments as the trail breaker, but Tim couldn't follow me without getting stuck, so they relegated me to the back. In Tim's defense, everyone got stuck in that section that I walked thru effortlessly. (At least I did the 1st time, I had my two best stucks of the day trying to repeat my performance.)

Very early on Chris broke a main leaf on his left front leaf spring pack. I'm a coily guy myself, but they tell me that is an important part. A bit of safety wire later and we all proceeded.

Above Tree Phones at the beginning of the sidehills Chris' dad was having a heck of a time. And somewhere in that mess he blew a bead.

We spent sometime winching, tugging, and digging him out...

Chris' dad decided to turn back and we sent him with instructions to report in at camp so we would know if we needed to do a night time rescue run. He brought a real good attitude and was fun to wheel with, but this was a rough run to get back into the sport and his particular run was probably too much for his tires.

Good thing Tim got some practice putting a tire back on the bead, because he lost an inside bead on one of his bead-locked tires.

We hit the side hills that we had concerns about from the beginning. José broke trail with little or no issues and we followed. Some places were tippy, but the snow had good traction and we got through with no digging or winching. (Sorry no pics... I was busy.)
Soon after we stopped for lunch and gave Chris sometime to replace his hub.

Half a sandwich and my appetite for lunch was satisfied, but my appetite for wheeling was not so I headed out in front before most everyone had a chance to saddle up. I figured they would come across my stuck Rubicon soon enough and someone else would return to breaking trail. Well I was having a good ole time and making progress without issues slowly, but surely, until a CB call from behind woahed me up delivering the news that Tim was stuck. I immediately called back down, "Tell Tim he can follow me, but it will hurt."
As Nicole soon pointed out, yes, I have been waiting for years to say that. I held up in a little clearing that I think normally has a sign, don't know what it says, it was way under snow. And well after a bit, I got bored. So I headed back down to see what the fuss was.

Result...

Soon we were heading up the road to the meadow across from Darland and chatting via CB with Danny and his crew who were over by Blue Lake. The road was challenging, but didn't turn into the mini post-lunch stuckfest we had at t he bottom. Soon we were shooting across the meadow (just gorgeous) and were on our way to Darland Mountain. Running the ridge to the mountain and the one near final assault that always seems to cause problems were, well, easy.
Soon...

Then Tim convinced us to drive off a cliff [peer pressure.] Nicole posted a pic, but it will never do that sled ride justice. Think wee, wee weeeeeee, but on an inhale.

That seemed to shorten the loop for us quite bit and we proceeded down where other Putters had already trod. Some sidehills, not bad, some tight trail, not that tight, but fun. And another wee, wee, weee trip down the meadow and hill where José rolled a couple years back.

And then somebody yelled out, "Last one to camp is a rotten egg and we raced to camp."

Why race? Carne Asada!!!.

Morning = Man Quiche. Remember the time you had bad Man Quiche on a Putter run? Nobody does and the Quiche created by Sveta and I (aided by great leftovers including Carne Asada) held its own.

Some broke for a Sunday run and the rest of us loaded up a bit fatter, not so much dumber, but certainly happier.

Last edited by iaccocca on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Nice report Lee....me likes the fire!!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Danny wrote:Nice report Lee....me likes the fire!!

I wish I had gotten a chance to wheel with you Danny. Well, it was nice to see you around the fire for a few minutes on Friday and it was fun to chat with you on the CB in the hills. You gonna be back for Liberty?
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Liberty is my next planned run. I'm keeping both weekends, fore and aft, open.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Another fun weekend of wheeling. On Saturday I didn't realize we had two groups splitting up until the North Fork group started leaving camp... I couldn't decide which way to go so I headed up with the bigger group heading up the North Fork. The whoop-de-doos on the north fork make for some slow going and I quickly discovered the Cherokee needs more spring rate in the rear and some softer bumpstops. I was worried about making it past the open sidehill just before the switchback on the way up.. and that ended up being where we had to turn around.

It was hard to get good pics, seemed like I was always trying to catch up with Ed and Paul. I have a few things to work out on the Cherokee but overall it did pretty good for a shake down run and didn't break anything.

RoyBoy
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby RoyBoy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 pm

I think Bears new nick name should be Tree Hugger.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:25 pm

RoyBoy wrote:I think Bears new nick name should be Tree Hugger.

Roy doesn't post much, but when he does...
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:50 pm

As promised, there were a bunch of pics of me stuck. I'm still limited by small tires and no rear locker, but the little fella still amazed me.

Congrats to the crew that made the summit. It feels good to know that some of the group got to view the view from the top. I feel like the final ascent to the top was the deal breaker from our side. It stumped everyone.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip that will go down as legend.

HOWEVER, I need a do-over. Not to try and make the summit or anything super challenging. I need to spend some quality man-time with my boy. Keep your eyes peeled for something to that effect. Maybe "heavy camping, light wheeling, family fun". . .

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 pm

The GPS log for our group on Saturday. (The odd spur to the east is the Nasty Creek Birthday Run.)

N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. Great pics and write ups.

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”